Monday, June 8, 2009

Last week I tried a new recipe~Beef Chilaquiles Verde. I found it on a Target recipe card and it looked quick and easy, right up my alley. Of course, I had to make a few alterations as usual.

Beef Chilaquiles Verde:

1 lb ground beef (we used turkey)
Coarsely crushed white corn tortilla chips
Shredded Cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
1 10oz can green enchilada sauce (I don't like the added MSG in these sauces so I made my own. I took a can of tomato paste, mixed water in until it was the consistency I wanted, then just kept adding salt, sugar, chili powder and cumin until it tasted right)

Heat oven to 350. Brown ground beef (or turkey), stir in enchilada sauce.
Layer crushed chips on the bottom of a 2 Qt casserole dish.
Top with half the beef mixture and top with half the shredded cheese.
Repeat layers one more time, finishing with cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Top with cilantro (skipped since we didn't have any) and top with any of your favorite taco toppings.

We served it with sour cream but next time I think I'm going to add some chopped tomato and olives to mine. Everyone liked it, even the notoriously picky Drama King ate it and said it's was really good "for having meat in it". I consider that a success.

0 comments: